Auto Log in screen

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Oct 13 17:13:39 UTC 2008

Apologies if this post is received twice. Big delays on the list receiving it
again.

On Monday 13 October 2008 16:40, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 12:56 +0100, Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:
> > Steve Friis wrote:
> > > In older versions of Fedora, there is a GDM tool that lets you set up
> > > so that when the computer starts and gets to the log on screen it
> > > automatically chooses the user, puts in the password and then runs.
> > >
> > > The problem is, GDM-setup no longer is there. Was this replaced with
> > > something else? Was this left off of Fedora 9 for a reason?
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I post the same question, and the answer :
> > edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf
> >
> > however AutomaticLogin did not work properly as released, your system
> > will need to be 'yum updated' for it to work properly.
> >
> > Add the section in the file :
> >
> > [daemon]
> > AutomaticLoginEnable=true
> > AutomaticLogin=your_username
> >
> > If you can't yum update the system there is a workaround via a timed
> > login :
> >
> > [daemon]
> > TimedLoginEnable=true
> > TimedLogin=your_username
> > TimedLoginDelay=0
>
> GDM/Gnome changed it up some and it doesn't work like it used it, which
> I believe was F8 and below.  F9 goes along with a new setup and new
> paramaters that can be used.  Below is the URL that describes what can
> be used now, in which auto logon is no longer used, but you can still
> use timed logins as stated above.
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration
>

> --
> Mike Chambers

The link above is interesting, but I can confirm that Autologin still works
with F9, by adding the following lines that I borrowed
from /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf on my FC2 install. Before suggesting this to Steve
Friis I rebooted F9, and was auto logged in to KDE. (never used autologin
before)

[daemon]
# Automatic login, if true the first local screen will automatically logged
# in as user as set with AutomaticLogin key
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=djmons

Steve replied (unfortunately sending the reply by way of the latest digest
he'd received, so the subject is the digest one), saying that those lines
work fine on his laptop, and was about to try it on his server, where he
needs autologin to work.

Odd that the link above mentions nothing about autologin, but have confirmed
for myself that the above lines added to /etc/gdm/custom.conf on F9 still
work for autologin.

Just an observation.

Nigel.