Semi urgent (and possibly stupid problem)

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Oct 13 18:39:36 UTC 2008

I've got one system here that is an older HP model.  Now, I dual boot
between XP and Fedora 9, but I do it rather differently.  Because of the
'recovery' features built into the HP box, any MBR change is
automatically 'fixed' the next reboot.  So, instead of trying to get
grub to play nice with the XP boot loader, I've simply skipped that and
used a CD-RW boot disc, that I update whenever new kernels are released.

(Don't beat me to the good part...)

Well, I had just created a new bootdisk using the latest kernel, but
before burning it to CD my daughter boots to Windows to play Call of
Duty 4.  Which, isn't a bad thing.

The /bad/ thing is that my current bootdisk must have been damaged
somehow because on a reboot with it, it loads vmlinuz then hangs on

Which leaves me in the lurch as I cannot find my older backup boot CD.
(I know I know, but I'm in the middle of moving everything into an extra
1000sq ft I added onto my house for a library.

So, anyone got any real quick and easy ways to fix this?  I'd really
like to just boot a rescue CD (or something) and get to the new boot ISo
and burn it from another system.  However, any options will do.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support