Fedora 10 - flawed testing process

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 14 04:31:27 UTC 2008

Steve Repo wrote:
> I downloaded F10 beta with this hopes of testing it enough to ensure
> it would worl for my hardware and needs well enough when it's
> released. The hardware(s) I tried to install on either crashes or does
> not install due to GUI issues.
>
> I've filed bug reports and all I been requested to file crashed logs.
> How do I do that when the kernel has crashed. Any help is appreciated.

You can boot into rescue mode.

> Also, at this time I cannot do anything other than wait till preview
> release and hope bugs are fixed.
>
> And oh, the "snapshot 1" release notes say installer won't work (whats
> the point of a snapshot if it's fundamentally buggy?)

You have misinterpreted what it says.

The release notes say that the regular installation images are not
provided because of bugs. The live cd have always been installable. Read

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2008-October/msg00006.html

> I was hoping there was a more easier way to test install process than
> having to download 4GB for every "snapshot" release.

Sure, there is. Use the boot.iso image which is much smaller and do a
network installation. If you want to test other things besides the
installer, you can install the previous release and do a preupgrade or
yum upgrade as well.

Refer

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Testing/

Also fedora-test list is more appropriate for such discussions. Thank
you for your interest.

Rahul