Beeping while running

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Oct 14 15:37:51 UTC 2008

Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Recently, one of my machines (running F8) has started beeping and I
>> can't figure out the reason why.  After watching it this morning, I've
>> noticed that every 30 minutes it seems to beep 20 times.  It almost
>> sounds like a BIOS beep, but the machine has 177 days of uptime (and
>> counting).  So, I'm wondering, what will cause 20 short beeps?  My
>> wife describes it as almost sounding like a flute.  I figure its got
>> to be a warning of some kind.  The motherboard is an ABit NF7-S2 with
>> an AMD XP 2600+ CPU and 1.5GB of RAM (3 512MB sticks).
>>

> Sounds very much like a sound that most UPS units make when the battery
> goes bad.. just saying :)

apcupsd says that my battery is still good (100% charged, 32 minutes est
runtime) and the last "event" was on 10/13 (Low Line Voltage).

I just checked, and the sound is being output through my computer's
sound card's speakers, though that motherboard has integrated audio and
I think it is set up to do "pc speaker" through the computer's external
speakers.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com