new kernel will not boot

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Oct 15 14:44:32 UTC 2008

Steve West wrote:

> I have compiled a new kernel and it cannot find the filesystem to boot.
> How do I specify in the kernel confg what disk to boot?
>
> Steve

If you are asking what drivers to load to access a specific type of
drive, you can build them into the kernel, or create an initrd for
the kernel. You have to do hte same thing for the file system you
are going to use.

If you have more then one drive, and you want to specify what drive
to use, this is normally done in Grub. If you have drives that use
different drivers, you can affect drive selection by what drivers
you build in/include in the initrd.

Mikkel