Beeping while running

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 18:34:47 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Tim wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 11:00 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>
>>> Recently, one of my machines (running F8) has started beeping and I
>>> can't figure out the reason why.  After watching it this morning, I've
>>> noticed that every 30 minutes it seems to beep 20 times.
>>>
>> No stuck keys on the keyboard?
>>
>> Anybody playing pranks on you?
>>

> Some bios's will do that if the cpu is getting too hot.
>

>> --
>> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
>> 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686
>>
>> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
>> read messages from the public lists.

Yeah, this is only mentioned every other message.

For that matter, the BIOS might also monitor the fan speeds and many
other temperatures. Maybe even voltage from the PSU. Usually the BIOS is
supposed to tell you what the current temp/speed/voltage is.

Or maybe it's an early version of Microsoft's Palladium - it realized
that you're not running the "appropriate" software on your hardware an
is complaining.