Fedora 10 and 80x24 text console bootup

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Oct 15 18:38:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 17:39:38 +0100,
  Mikolaj Kucharski <mikolaj at kucharski.name> wrote:

I'll note differences I see. My systems boot up in text mode.

> I don't have rhgb added anywhere, as I showed in my previous post:
>
> # cat /proc/cmdline
> ro root=/dev/md1 nofb

I don't have nofb.

> plymouth is configured to give text output:
>
> # plymouth-set-default-plugin
> text

Mine is set to "spinfinity".

> This server doesn't have X Window System installed. I want to have
> classic 80x24 text console after my Fedora 10 boot up multiuser.

How is what you are getting different? Without X you pretty much have to
get a virtual terminal? There was a bug with vt1 that got fixed a while
back (maybe a week). Maybe you don't have the fix or you have another corner
case that it doesn't properly handle. If that is the case you might be able to
verify this by trying to switch to another vt.

> How I can check which module is responsible for changing the video
> resolution? I the past in Linux you could append ``nofb'' to disable
> framebuffer and keep the glass console in plain text mode. I don't know
> how to do that today.

You can use nomodeset disable the modsetting stuff which changes the resolution
during boot. However this breaks things on my system with a video card that
isn't supported for modesetting (until tonight when I apply the latest
updates).