hwclock can cause system lockup

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Oct 17 00:16:49 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston wrote:

> If you don't have an ntp source, using /etc/adjtime (with `hwclock
> --adjust` after appropriate disciplining), the quartz time of the
> hardware clock can be SIGNIFICANTLY better than system time, so if you
> pull the hardware clock into your system in a reasonable periodicity the
> system will have a better time for use.
>
> It could even make a box that would be reasonable enough, not great but
> reasonable, to provide ntp local time for having the rest of the
> computers in a disconnected lab synced. [Been there Done that. On an
> RH7.3 machine of all things :]

The thing is, the command the OP is showing does the opposite of
what the OP says he is trying to do.

runs "/sbin/hwclock --utc --hctosys" to sync the hardware clock to
the system clock.

But this is syncing the system clock to the hardware clock, not the
hardware clock to the system clock. This has me confused as to what
the OP is trying to do. (I don't understand why you would set the
hardware clock to the system clock every hour either...)

Mikkel