Why does it take so long for new (gimp, kernels, openoffice) packages to reach the stable repo ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 18 21:21:50 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Andras Simon <szajmi <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines
>
> That's the process for new packages, not for updates to existing ones. Updates
> don't have to get reviewed, but they have to be careful about not breaking
> things, so pushing something as major as OO.o 3 as an update to a stable
> distribution does not sound like a good idea to me.

I think calling Fedora a "stable distribution" is stretching things. Fedora is
pretty close to the edge, so you generally don't wait for those updates.

I can see why OO would be help off, the human interface changes, and probably
gimp does too, somebody new seems to win the "how it should work" battle every
release and things change. Usually for the better, but visibly.

2.6.27 is such a huge leap for many people that getting it out really should be
treated as a bug fix, many missing or broken drivers added (some were
retrofitted to 2.6.26 for Fedora users), and mtrr handling was vastly improved,
giving many people a LOT more usable memory.

In general Fedora is pretty current, a pleasant change from some other
distributions.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>