Regarding net connection

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 15:28:24 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 10/19/08, madhav rao <mady8522 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: madhav rao <mady8522 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Regarding net connection
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 4:54 AM
> Hi,
> Fedora team ,
> This is Madhav .Iam new to Fedora and I want to configure
> Internet
> connection in Fedora and I dont know how to configure could
> you please help
> me out how to configure my broadband dial up in Fedora .
> Thank you,
> Mady.
> --

I would connect the modem to the computer, is it a usb modem?
If it is, I would do the following:

1) Type in a terminal shell
$ dmesg | grep usb

I would look for device like usb modem

$ su -
password:
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

This would scan modem ports to find the port that is needed to use so that you can make dialouts.

If a modem port is found, you will need to add some information to it so that you can connect to your provider.  For instance I have the following one:

[olivares at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Phone = #777
ISDN = 0
Username = MYUSERNAME
Init1 = ATZ
Password = MYPASSWORD.
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Baud = 460800
Carrier Check = no
Stupid Mode = yes

I use this to connect (as root user)
# wvdial

At the end once connected we see several DNS servers.  Again open up a terminal become root(su - ) and edit the file /etc/resolv.conf and add those names to the file /etc/resolv.conf  so that you can browse.

If you have questions, please let us know.

HTH,

Antonio