Performance issue with X11

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 00:11:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 16:46 -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc at usb.ve> wrote:
> > I've recently noted that window behaviour is sluggish, particularly
> > noticeable in scrolling, drawing dialog alerts and switching desktops.
>
> I'm just going to throw out some ideas:
>
> Did the same problem occur with previous linux versions?

Not that I recall.

> Is it the hardware or KDE?

The hardware hasn't changed. Both KDE and X11 have.

> Just for testing:
>    - It could be a Window Manager issue: What happens if you switch to GNOME,

As I said in the post, it also happens with Gnome.

>    - How about using another display (maybe need to run
> system-config-display --reconfig)

I don't have one.

>    - Do you have another video card to test?

No. I don't need fancy graphics and the high level of traffic about ATI
and Nvidia on this list puts me off getting into that. The only
graphic-intensive app I use is the foobillard game, which used to be
acceptable but now is virtually unplayable because of flicker.

poc