When will KDE4 get a desktop like in KDE3.x ?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:41:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 06:20 -0400, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 01:02 -0400, Chris Snook wrote:
> > Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > > Here is a comment from a recent KDE4.2 review:
> > >
> > > ============================================================================
> > > The Desktop
> > > Plasma has most goals listed for inclusion in KDE4.2, followed closely
> > > by KWin. Currently Plasma behaves somewhat unstable and can crash while
> > > managing the plasmoids. With the default “plasmoid” desktop setting, we
> > > can add the plasmoids, but the files/icons are not supported, KDE3’s
> > > style.
> > > ===========================================================================
> > >
> > > http://polishlinux.org/kde/quick-look-at-kde-42-svn/
> > >

> > > Why can't we have files and icons on the desktop, ala KDE3.x ?
> >
> > Because you haven't implemented it yet.
> >
> > KDE 4 was released as it was because most of the interesting work required to
> > make a maintainable next-generation desktop environment were done, and there was
> > no other way to force developers to get around to the important but boring work
> > of porting existing features to the new architecture.  Fedora and other
> > fast-moving distributions adopted KDE 4 for this very reason.
> >
> > I'm sure the KDE developers would welcome your patches.
>
> The problem with that is I'm a KDE *USER*, not a KDE *DEVELOPER*.  There
> is a difference.  I don't have time to write code for the desktop
> manager that I use in my day to day work.

Do we have to go over all this yet again? The whole topic has been done
to death on this list several times. In a nutshell: if you're using
Fedora you're a *TESTER*. You have plenty of other distros to choose
from if that doesn't suit you. Seriously. Just remember that the
stability of those other distros is due in large part to the testing
that the Fedora community (i.e. you and me and the rest of us) does on
bleeding-edge stuff.

> "and there was no other way to force developers to get around to the
> important but boring work of porting existing features to the new
> architecture."
>
> Then we have a problem, don't we.

Actually it's you who has the problem, and also the solution.

> We have this group of people called
> users that need these boring, existing features.
>
> I've been using Linux since Redhat 8.   *NOTHING* that has happened
> since then has ever rocked my expectations of Linux as much as KDE4 has.

If your "expectations of Linux" are rocked, you have misunderstood what
Linux is (Linux is not Fedora), what Fedora is (Fedora is not guaranteed
to be stable), and what KDE is (KDE is not Linux either).

poc