help with old BSD mail commands

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Oct 21 13:48:19 UTC 2008

Dave Encisco wrote, On 10/20/2008 05:42 PM:
> Hi,
>
> I just migrated an old Solaris server to a new machine running Fedora.
>
> Unfortunately one of my users is blind and dependent on using the BSD
> mail command. Fortunately that still works for him, but he also was used
> to using the BSD "from" command that lists newly arrived mail and/or the
> nfrm command that was part of elm. Can someone point me to the
> equivalent for Linux. My user is dependent on line-command and Mutt and
> Pine do not work for him.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...and save me a lot of time.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elm_email_client
has a link at the bottom to a copy of the source.

and/or you could grab an src.rpm from
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=elm
and then build that on fedora.

Elm Millennium Edition might be interesting for you
http://freshmeat.net/projects/elmme/
and they include a src.rpm
http://freshmeat.net/redir/elmme/28280/url_rpm/elm-2.4ME+124-1.mdk7.2.src.rpm

I don't and have not used elm, but apparently resources are still out there if
you know where to look.

If you want the 'BSD "from" command' you would have to have more information
on it to do a search that finds anything. (your email is the first thing that
that comes up in a
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=from.command+nfrm+bsd+mail+&btnG=Search
search.)

> Please note: Emails authored under this address do not reflect the
> opinions of my employer unless otherwise stated.

Come now, do they even then? :)
--
Todd Denniston