Update Problems

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 19:08:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 14:39 -0400, Dave Feustel wrote:
> Running F9, the administrative -> update option no longer works.
> When I click for details, I get the message "cannot update whilst
> offline". I have network access. How do I make updates think
> that it is online?
>
> Also, what is the difference between running the console command
> yum update and doing an update via the administrative desktop?

Are you using Network Manager, and if so is NM managing your interface?
If NM is running but not managing the interface, it thinks you aren't
connected even when you are, and some Gnome apps believe it (Evolution
is one and I'm guessing PackageKit is another).

"yum" doesn't pay any attention to this, so it's not affected.

poc