Update Problems

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Oct 21 22:01:29 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
>> 1. Is there a nm-applet in the upper panel on the left?
>> 2. Check what:chkconfig --list |grep NetworkManager returns
>
> I don't understand either point 1 or point 2; I do almost everything via
> the command line in xterm. Could you elaborate?

If you have a /var/run/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.pid file, then
NetworkManager is running.  That's probably the most reliable way.

If you're in a GUI, look around in the taskbars and see if there's an
icon that looks like two computers, one in front of the other.  Right
click on it and select "About" from the drop-down menu.

If the About box says "NetworkManager Applet", then NetworkManager is
running.  If it says "Network Monitor" then NetworkManager is NOT
running.  The problem is that the icon for the NetworkManager applet and
the one for Network Monitor are damned near identical.  It's caught me
by surprise before.
-  The problem with being poor is that it takes up all of your time  -