Why is FC9 mounting my media again?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Oct 22 19:28:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:31:19 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> I really don't want the media mounted, or even the "blank CD" icon
> on the desktop, I want the optical devices totally ignored unless I manually
> mount them or burn to them.

Well, my way of avoiding that is to simply not run gnome or kde and
not have nautilus (which seems to be the program triggering all this)
active. You might try installing gconf-editor and seeing if there
are any settings you can see in that to modify nautilus behavior
(assuming you are using gnome - I don't know what the equivalent is
for kde).

You could also investigate the /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ directory and
see about installing some xml magic in there to make hal stop telling
nautilus anything happened. This, for instance, is my 10-stop-hal-stop.fdi
file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="volume.label" string="BACKUP">
       <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

It tells hal not to mention my USB drive with the partition labeled BACKUP,
because I don't want it mounted most of the time (I just mount it during
backups and keep it nice safe and unmounted at other times :-).