Libraries disappearing from compat-libstdc++-296

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 22 20:55:16 UTC 2008

Gordon Messmer <yinyang <at> eburg.com> writes:
> ...which seems odd.  I can't see how the compat-libstdc++-296 package
> actually provides compatibility with binaries that were built with gcc
> 2.96.

It does. libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is the version which actually shipped with
GCC 2.96. (At least the RH one. There was no formal 2.96 release, so other
distributions may have been shipping other 2.96 variants with different
libraries.)

The missing libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 is actually from GCC 2.95 (or EGCS, which
was the project which lead to GCC 2.95 and used the same soname).

Upstreams still building their binaries with GCC 2.95 (or 2.96 for that matter)
should really be told to get with the times. GCC is at 4.3 now, 2.95 is just a
long gone memory from the distant past.

        Kevin Kofler