What are your unsatisfied NetworkManager use cases?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 22:09:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many people seem to have different issues with NetworkManager. I would
> like to attempt to assist with the progress of NetworkManager by
> collecting use cases which it does not cover at all or properly.
>
> So please reply with a use case that you have that is not covered, I
> will attempt to collect clarify and log them on the wiki (just
> reactivated my account).
>
> For my sake please do one use case per email.

Just a personal observation. When I installed F9 on my laptop I only had
wireless active, which has worked perfectly after extracting the firmware to
the correct location, however, the first time I plugged into ethernet
(wanting to transfer a large file) nothing happened. I did some searching to
find out I had to go into system-config-network and tell it to allow NM to
manage the connection.

I'm assuming that if I had installed F9 with the wired connection active
this would not have happened, but if NM is the "default" way of managing
connections, shouldn't it default to managing *all* the connections?

Richard