open office 3.0

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Oct 22 23:32:37 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko <at> greshko.com> writes:
>
>> What leads you to make the claim about "less tested"?
>>
>> I use nothing but the official OpenOffice install on my RHEL, Fedora,
>> and Suse systems and never had a problem.  I've also participated in the
>> OpenOffice beta program and suspect a few others have done the same.
>> So, where did you come by the "less tested" info?
>>

> They're certainly less tested in the context of the current Fedora release,
> which is what is really relevant here. Upstream's testers are all over several
> distros, including but not limited to the ones you listed (RHEL, SUSE). The
> Fedora packages are built specifically for Fedora and tested and used by
> thousands of Fedora users.
>

>> Or are you talking only about the install process?
>>

> I'm talking about testing together with the rest of the distribution.

FWIW, I've had a very good experience with the native OO packaging and
suite on Fedora 8, and 9.  Never had an issue with integration.  Could
be that some of the beta testers also used Fedora as their testing
platform.  Besides, when Fedora releases their rpm set it wouldn't yet
have been tested by thousands of uses...that only happens *after* the
release.  :-)

--
Don't cross a field unless you can do it in 9.9 seconds. The bull can do
it in 10.