What are your unsatisfied NetworkManager use cases?

Chris chris1.noreply at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 23 08:51:45 UTC 2008

2008/10/22 Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>:
> For me, the most important thing I simply can't do is set a preferred network
> order. I've configured / hacked NM to where it reliabily uses the 3G card in
> my laptop. However, what I would like for NM to do is try wired connections
> first. If I bother plugging in a network cable, I really do want to use it.
> Then, it should use known wireless networks. If none are available, activate
> the Verizon air card...
>
> I guess the order would have to be configurable - wired, known wireless, 3G,
> unknown wireless are the four categories that come to mind.

I'll second this but add a bit more detail regarding a problem I have.
As well as specifying an order preference of wired, wireless, etc.. it
is important to be able to specify the order preference of each
wireless network.

I have two wireless networks in the office, one is for guests which is
isolated from our company network, and another which is on the company
network. NM insists on connecting to the guest network when I start my
laptop and I can't find a way to tell it to prefer the company network
over the guest network.