installed service ports not open

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 23 16:16:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:22:01 -0400,
  Steve West <steve at cyglan.com> wrote:
> I installed a service with open tcp ports. When the machine boots the
> service starts after the network is configured but I cannot connect to
> the ports. When I run this services from root it all works fine and can
> connect to the ports. Any ideas?

It could be selinux. Processes started from init often run with a different
context than ones run by a user. If this is what is happening there should
be information about it in your logs.

You should probably look at any logs you have for the service to see what
is happening in any case. You can also use netstat or lsof to see if the
service is listening on the expected (any) ports. If so then there may
be a firewall issue, though it would be unusual for one to block different
ports based on what services have been started.