Libraries disappearing from compat-libstdc++-296

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Oct 23 18:47:57 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Gordon Messmer <yinyang <at> eburg.com> writes:
>> ...which seems odd.  I can't see how the compat-libstdc++-296 package
>> actually provides compatibility with binaries that were built with gcc
>> 2.96.
>
> It does. libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is the version which actually shipped with
> GCC 2.96. (At least the RH one. There was no formal 2.96 release, so other
> distributions may have been shipping other 2.96 variants with different
> libraries.)
>
> The missing libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 is actually from GCC 2.95 (or EGCS, which
> was the project which lead to GCC 2.95 and used the same soname).
>
> Upstreams still building their binaries with GCC 2.95 (or 2.96 for that matter)
> should really be told to get with the times. GCC is at 4.3 now, 2.95 is just a
> long gone memory from the distant past.

Unfortunately people and companies who have critical commercial software for
which upgrades are unavailable or unafordable remember those days well. I have
FC4 and RH8 running in virtual machines for that very reason.

I agree that no one should be building with those libraries, but in fact people
do use binaries already using them.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>