flash and firefox again

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Oct 24 00:15:00 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote, On 10/20/2008 10:50 PM:
>> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:10:57 -0500
>> Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't find anything helpful with a quick Google search for "flash 10
>>> multitheaded" but maybe it is an issue with multi-core machines?
>>
>> That's a thought.  I have never been able to watch CNN videos on this
>> dual-core
>> machine, even with Flash 10, but they work on the single-core machine
>> that's
>> sitting beside it.  Both running F8.
>>

> have you considered/ever tried forcing flash &| the browser &| X
> processes to operate only on one processor (core) with taskset, just
> to see if it may be a context switching/processor cache bashing problem?
>

> I have noticed on the dual Xeon 1.50GHz W/512MB I use, that if I lock
> X to the second processor, when visiting animated sites like
> http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true
> The whole system is smother and the animation is less glitchy.
> [with out locking X pulls ~85%cpu (of combined cpus),
>   with locking X pulls ~10-50%cpu (of combined cpus), on that page
> after it self reloads.]

Other than in the "Advertisement" area I don't see any other "flash" on
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true .

When you were talking about "less glitchy" were you talking about the
radar animation or some other aspect of that page?  The radar animation
is part of javascript.

--
An optimist believes we live in the best world possible; a pessimist
fears this is true.