Fedora 9 Boot Problem

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Fri Oct 24 19:26:12 UTC 2008

g wrote:

I have to define, kt7-RAID, which I own a board with that on it, is
software assisted RAID. It does handle RAID in hardware, yes, but the
RAID itself does not boot off BIOS, allowing hardware control that isn't
dependant on the system board BIOS. "Real" RAID, and "Fake" RAID, are
just easy ways to differentiate in Linux hardware that relies on
underlying software to help it work.

"Real" RAID will offer you a different boot proccess: POST --> RAID BIOS
--> PXE --> O/s, which isn't in place for the Highpoint on board items.

Matter of fact I have the same exact board as you are mentioning, and
while there is the ability to set up a raid type on the BIOS, it doesn't
allow you to RAID before an O/S is installed. a 'REAL' RAID card is like
3ware's 9500LP series, or other add on Multi-RAID option boards.

If you need drivers to create your array it is software assisted. It is
that simple. The HighPoint chipsets have always been like that. It is
rather like arguing that a winmodem is a real hardware modem. You can
get this sucker to boot on Linux in RAID 1/0/which ever one you use, it
just has to work with the help of mdadmin as well.

Sorry about the sort of Rant but the board is designed for Windows with
linux as an afterthought.

Other than that it is a great board.