VDQ : rhgb, plymouth -- and mkinitrd

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sat Oct 25 17:18:02 UTC 2008

	It seems rhgb (which I have always detested, and routinely
removed from all machines) is to be replaced by plymouth -- which hides
not only the boot messages I want to watch, but grub, too. (That seems
insane for anyone who has multi-boot machines; I must have misread a web
page, or otherwise be confused somehow ....)

	So in F10B, "yum remove rhgb" turns into a command that removes
plymouth -- and takes mkinitrd along with it.

	So do ordinary users need mkinitrd?? Is it OK to let yum go ahead
and take it away?

	To the best of my knowledge and belief, I've never once used it,
in all the years since RH7; but I could make a long list of things I've
tried removing, only to be warned that something I can't do without
depends on them. Is mkinitrd one of those? Or not? How do I tell??