X over a reverse SSH tunnel

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 17:41:40 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I can ssh to my work PC, that runs Fedora, from home by using a reverse
> ssh tunnel, this is because the VPN software does not work on Linux. Can
> anyone explain to me how i can connect to the X server on the work PC from
> my home machine by using the same reverse tunnel method? Ideally i'd like
> to have it as simple as having a 'remote desktop' type affair.

You need to use 'ssh -Y ...' for most X programs.

> I can install anything i like so would something like VNC work?

The nicest thing for remote GUI work is freenx, using the NX client that
you can download from http://www.nomachine.com.  You can connect using
only port 22 so your firewall probably already permits it and remote
performance is much better than vnc.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com