F9: Manually editing passwd/group files causes rebooting to freeze up after udev....

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Oct 26 20:19:36 UTC 2008

Dan Thurman wrote:

>> I was manually changing the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
>> file since my users were incorrectly assigned UID/GIDs,
>> I manually corrected the UID/GID in /home for each user,
>> rebooted and noticed that I would get a hang just after
>> udev.
>>
>> I tried ^D and noticed that something complaining
>> about /var/run/anacron was not removable and that
>> user anacron did not exist, and the system would then
>> shutdown and reboot.
>>
>> On rebooting, I stopped grub and added -s and single
>> user boot was successful.
>>
>> In single user, I checked what I could and finding nothing,
>> and proceeded with ^D and noticed several things:
>>
>> 1) There was a message to the effect that several important
>>    users (root, anacron, and others) was not able to be retrieved
>>    from dbus's database.  The message appears too fast for me
>>    to write it all down exactly.
>>
>> 2) Repeated messages of: "Unknown username "root" in message
>>     bus configuration file, for each important users.
>>
>> Is there some way to repair the dbus database?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Dan
>>
> I forgot to add:
>
> 3) The system fails to start dbus, anacron, and a couple of other
>    services but continues on to the text login prompt.  Attempts
>    login as root or any normal user will fail.
>
> Dan

Um... interesting....

When I added selinix=0 to the grub command line for the kernel,
I was able to get my qui and logins to work....  seems there is
something going on with SELinux and dbus....

Can someone help me fix this issue?

Should I remove and reinstall SELinux/DBUS?  I will wait
until I get advice here before attempting this step....

Thanks again,
Dan