Newbie with Login Issues

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Oct 27 01:25:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 18:03 -0700, Billy Gedney wrote:
> Hey,
>

> I'm a bit of a newb, so please forgive me in advance.   I'm running
> Fedora 8 on a home-brew P4 2.8 with 1 gig of ram.  I am trying to run
> Adobe's Flash Media Server, and I was in the middle of streaming, we
> get like 15 minutes in it the connection from the encoder goes dead.
> The box it's self is alive and everything, I even have internet
> connectivity, but when I ping the box, it wont respond...  So I reset
> it.
>

> On the way back up, the Sendmail service decides it's gonna not start.
> So I interactive boot, I dont need it, when it fully booted, I stopped
> it and a few other services.
>

> All is well now except that every like 10 minutes (we're normally
> streaming by this time) the box is unreachable and we restart and now
> login takes a serious 15 minutes...
>

> ANY IDEAS?
>

> I'm at a loss..
----
apparently so - I'm at a loss too because I'm not sure which problem you
are actually trying to solve.

Generally, if boot up hangs on sendmail service starting, it's because
someone didn't pay attention to editing /etc/hosts file because the
first 2 lines make it pretty clear...

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

when the first 4 lines of /etc/hosts look different than this, you
generally get the startup hangs from sendmail.

As for the 15 minutes and can't even ping...sounds like oom killer is
dealing with some thing that is eating up memory like crazy. Does this
happen if you turn off the Adobe Flash Media Server?  I would think not.
I don't have any knowledge of the Adobe Flash Media Server and you may
not find many on this list that do. If you can narrow the problem down
to Adobe Flash Media Server, do they have a support list?

Craig