Fedora 9 32 or 64 Bit - Which One?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 03:11:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Agile Aspect <agile.aspect at gmail.com>wrote:

> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>
>> For the average desktop user, 64-bit has little or no benefit and is not
>> worth the hassles of dealing with incompatible proprietary code (and
>> yes, there is a hassle).
>>
> I concur.
>
> Not only is it an unnecessary hassle, 1 GB of memory
> on 32 machine ends up requiring at least 3 GB of memory
> on a 64 bit machine.

Ok, maybe I slept through a few math classes in high school, but how does
1GB on a 32bit system go to 3 on a 64bit system? I have run 64bit since FC6
on my old(ish) Athlon 3000+ and 1GB of memory. I don't use it has a major
server but I use it as a home file/print server and with Gnome and Firefox
running I'm idling at 27% memory usage. I even occasionally boot an XP
virtual machine with virtualbox (although I've used vmware as well) with
adequate performance for my needs.

In fact, I have a total of 4 Fedora installations (two F8, two F9) all 64bit
ranging from 1 to 2GB memory and other than having to install
nspluginwrapper.i386 for flash, I've had very few issues.

Richard
Richard