Newbie with Login Issues

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Oct 27 09:37:58 UTC 2008

> On the way back up, the Sendmail service decides it's gonna not start. So I
> interactive boot, I dont need it, when it fully booted, I stopped it and a
> few other services.

You can use chkconfig to turn off sendmail. Sendmail usually gets stuck
- well it will timeout after a minute or two - when the network isn't
working.

> All is well now except that every like 10 minutes (we're normally streaming
> by this time) the box is unreachable and we restart and now login takes a
> serious 15 minutes...

Sounds like your networking falls over under high load. Could be a
network card problem or something similar.

> ANY IDEAS?

tcpdump the network segment from another box and see if the packets are
being lost locally or elsewhere. Would also be useful to know what
network card is being used

Alan