configure mount parameters in hotplug

lux yuanlux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:07:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:20 AM, lux <yuanlux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson <
> mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>
>> lux wrote:
>> > Hi
>> > I often mount USB  mannually via line from /etc/fstab
>> >
>> > /dev/sdb1       /mnt/USBG       vfat    noauto,rw,users,shortname=mixed
>> 0 0
>> >
>> > is there a  way to configure the parameters into hotplug?  and let
>> > hotplug handle usb mount. I mainly interesated in get "shortname=mixed"
>> > in place.
>> >

>> > thanks
>> >

>> You would be better off doing this in HAL. But if you do not want to
>> mess with HAL, it would not be hard to create a udev rule to mount
>> the drive using the fstab entry. Hotplug has been depreciated and I
>> am not sure it even works any more.Then
>>

>> Mikkel
>> --
>>

> Could you highlight how to configure this in HAL or point me to some
> instructions?

Here is my fix, it may benefit others

I commented out the mount line in /etc/fstab and edit gnome-configure
following these steps:

launch it from a terminal as a normal user
gconf-editor
/system
/storage
/default_options
/vfat

Right click on the mount_options and select Edit Key
and change
shortname=xxxxxx
shortname=mixed