Can't read/mount SD flash memory card in builtin reader.

lux yuanlux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:33:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:18 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
> card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
> Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
> card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief
> pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to
> inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain
> about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem
> labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an
> issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but
> it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading
> it fine.
>
> Along those lines, is it possible to get the UUID of a disk from windows?

I have similar problem on HPnx500 with a built-in sd card reader

After insert sd card, dmesg only show

tifm_core: MMC/SD card detected in socket 0:0

nothing happening in /dev

here is output of  lsmod|egrep 'sd|timf'

sdhci                  17540  0
tifm_sd                12552  0
mmc_core               40604  2 sdhci,tifm_sd
tifm_core              10268  3 tifm_ms,tifm_sd,tifm_7xx1
sd_mod                 26008  5
scsi_mod              122876  4 usb_storage,sg,libata,sd_mod

how to get this fixed?