how do you get Spark IM to run on fc 9

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 27 12:21:00 UTC 2008

Gregory Machin wrote:
> Hi
> I would like to run Spark IM on my fc 9 x86_64 box as everyone else is
> using this IM in the office .
on f9 too ?

> I down loaded spark_2_5_8.tar.gz and unzipd it to /opt/
> when I run ./starter I get
>
> [root at gregory-workstation Spark]# ./starter
> testing JVM in /opt/Spark/jre ...
Does the download include a JRE in it's download ?
Any different when started from normal user login (usually a good idea) ?
java -version
alternatives --display java

> and nothing happens ..
Does the command prompt return ?
Does top show high CPU use ?

> there are no java or spark processes running ..
>
> What do I need to do to get it to work ?
I'm pretty sure I had a version running earlier this year, on Fedora 8.
Haven't tried on F9 yet.

I did find both the windows and linux ones to be big memory hogs, so I
went with pidgin which achieves many of the same capabilities.

DaveT.