Fedora 9/10 and NVIDIA ?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Oct 27 19:30:47 UTC 2008

Quoting kevin kempter <kevin at kevinkempterllc.com>:

> Hi All;
>
> I'm considering the purchase of a Dell 64bit laptop with an NVIDIA
> video card.
>
> - Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition X9100 3.06GHz, 1067MHZ, 6M L2 Cache
> Dual Core (224-3154)
> - 1GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M Mobile Precision M6400 Covet (320-7518)
>

> Anyone have any thoughts per Fedora 9/10 compatibility, potential
> issues, gotcha's, etc ?

   regarding nvidia in general, there have supposedly been
horrendous problems with overheating and nvidia chips in laptops.
see, for example,

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/10/apple-notebooks-defective

   i would *love* to get a new WUXGA display laptop, and i was
looking at a dell, but the nvidia stuff is scaring me off.  if
anyone can add to this or clarify the current situation, i'd
appreciate it.

rday