Fedora 9/10 and NVIDIA ?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Oct 27 20:41:39 UTC 2008

kevin kempter wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I'm considering the purchase of a Dell 64bit laptop with an NVIDIA
> video card.
>
> - Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition X9100 3.06GHz, 1067MHZ, 6M L2 Cache
> Dual Core (224-3154)
> - 1GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M Mobile Precision M6400 Covet (320-7518)
>

> Anyone have any thoughts per Fedora 9/10 compatibility, potential
> issues, gotcha's, etc ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I have a recent Dell Inspiron 1720 with the Nvidia 8400M (poor me!).

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8300  @ 2.40GHz

4GB RAM

The 8400M is a sluggish pig, for me.  I run desktop effects on, with no
issues, but the entire desktop stutters with any firefox or thunderbird
activity.  The scrolling in those applications is VERY sluggish.

All of these issues I attribute to the 8400M, as all other aspects of
the laptop seem to be rock solid.

Well, pulseaudio is not reliable, but ...

Scrolling is very sluggish using either the nvidia driver, or the free
nv driver.

With custom effects on, the screen saver, set to blank, burns 100% of a
CPU.  I do not yet know why.

I run 64bit F9 in order to fully take advantage of the 4GB RAM, and to
allow me to roll custom distros in both 64bit, and 32bit using qemu-kvm.

Good Luck!