32 or 64-bit?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Oct 27 22:03:14 UTC 2008

John Aldrich wrote:
> I'm about to the point of having to wipe and reinstall (except for some data
> folders) my personal machine. I'm currently on FC6, but I'm looking at either
> installing F9 or F10.
>
> I use it more as a desktop machine, but I access it from remote via SSH and
> VNC. I also use a DDNS name to access the machine.
>
> My question is this: Is F9/F10 (Beta) ready for full 64-bit for a desktop
> machine? I've got an AMD64 CPU and I'd love to use it to the full potential,
> but only if it's ready for prime-time.

F9 is certainly ready for primetime now (in my opinion).  I run it on a
half dozen 64-bit opteron servers and it works fantastic.  For my
production systems I tend to wait at least a month before upgrading
versions, just to let the kinks get worked out, but in the main, it's
been a great OS for me.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support