Fedora 9 Issues:

vohnmaxwell at bellsouth.net vohnmaxwell at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 28 01:46:56 UTC 2008

You right as far as knowledge to an extent depending on the level or should I say platform you speak.  I have been in the business for 30 years.  I've worked on Honeywell, IBM, NAS, and others.  I am speaking of mainframe.

As for this platform, I've played and toyed with them off/on at various levels.  At the point I am at, I have other things that also occupy my time.  I have to pick and choose at to what level I want to spend my spare time.  As I have other hobbies including amateur radio, boating, spending time with my wife and traveling.

I had explored Linux sometime ago - about 10+ with Mandrake.  A few years ago, I had a order a new upgrade to a Linux product which included other distros (Fedora).  About the same time, Mandrake was becoming unsettled and I  dropped my interest in the product.

Then, about 3 years ago, when that other operating system, started making more and more expensive and painful to keep up, I took up Linux again by dusting off Fedora.  I had run Fedora 7 for about a year with little issue and noticed that I had fallen behind with the upgrades.

I took on the process to catch up just before the weekend.  First with Fedora 8.  I worked through the install issue with the install hanging during the resolving of the dependencies.  I applied a number of updates and decided to attempt to move to Fedora 9.

The install went a bit smoother then Fedora 8.  But it was getting late and there were 906 packages to install.  I went to bed before it finished.  I woke to find that all seemed in order.

First thing I ran into after the install was that Xen hung (I think I mentioned prior that I put Xen on to see how it functioned but found that Fedora never really got it running).

When I bypassed Xen during startup by hiting any other key and bringing me to the Grub load options, I noticed that the other options were for prior installs of Fedora 8.

It was at this point I ran into the problems you and others have been helping me with.

Through your suggestions, I used the recovery to run yum and get the upgrades.  Once I applied enough of the upgrades (there were over 200 the first and 590+ the second), I was able to at least get into Gnome and bring up a terminal session (2) to finish.  This helped because I could list the upgrades in on terminal and use the second to apply.  If I would run into a problem, I would bypass that package and come back to it later.

To date, the only packages I have not applied updates to are the for the Network Manager.  That is because it has a conflict with a module previously loaded.  It is of a more current release then the one the package is attempting to load.

I've been rambling.  Thank you for the insight.

At this point I have identified all the files that I will need to back up with the exception of the Evolution folders where my calendar, email messages, memos, and tasks are.  I am sure I will find them and include them in my back up plans before reloading Fedora.

It sounds that you have been involved with Linux to quite an extent.  How stable is 10 to date?

Should I give it some consideration or wait a bit longer?

-------------- Original message from Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>: --------------