54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Oct 28 15:58:28 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 02:17:42 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
>
>> I have the exact same printer connected via usb as well, but to my main
>> machine, not a kvm switch.  I think switching the switch from one
>> machien to another is causing the messages.
>
>> I have a suggestion....Attach the printer to just one machine, and then
>> set it up to share and then connect each machine to it via the network.
>> That might help a whole lot and cut down on the messages.  I hardly ever
>> see those things if at all.
>
> 	<sigh> "Set it up to share"?? Has that gotten any easier in
> recent years -- since the last time I gave up trying??

Yes, it has. With a Linux machine host, you just set it up in CUPS.
On the rest of the Linux machines, you can have CUPS search the
network and it will find the printer. For XP, you will want to
install an IPP interface printer. If you really want to, and you
have Samba running on the host machine, you can share that way too,
but it is more work.

Mikkel