54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Oct 28 16:05:03 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:15:06 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> I have not been really been following this thread, but I do remember
>> something about having to go and read root's messages. I got the
>> impression that root's mail never gets read. If all root's mail is
>> building up in his mail box, and it never gets cleaned out, it is
>> probably a significant cause of the problem as well. (I wounder how many
>> "running out of disk space" messages root has...) Part of the fix should
>> probably include setting up an alias so root's mail go to a normal user.
>> If it is not going to be read at all, then maybe forward it to
>> /dev/null. :)
>
> 	Well, it's true, alas!, that I hardly ever think to read root's
> mail; otoh, wouldn't it show up in baobab if root's mail were getting
> bloated? That's how the bloat in /var/log/messages showed up.
>
> 	I'm online too much as it is; and most logs are nearly gibberish
> to me.

Well, the logwatch messages are usually fairly clear. For example,
here is the disk usage report for this machine:

--------------------- Disk Space Begin ------------------------

 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                        48G  8.5G   37G  19% /
 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
                       141G   25G  109G  19% /home
 /dev/sda3              82G   55G   23G  71% /shared
 /dev/sda1              99M   19M   75M  21% /boot
 /shared/Fedora-8.iso  3.3G  3.3G     0 100% /var/www/html/Fedora8
 /shared/Fedora-9.iso  3.4G  3.4G     0 100% /var/www/html/Fedora9

 /shared/Fedora-8.iso => 100% Used. Warning. Disk Filling up.
 /shared/Fedora-9.iso => 100% Used. Warning. Disk Filling up.

As you can see, it is complaining about the two loop-mounted .iso
images are out of free space. :) The rest of the sections are about
this clear. It is worth reading just for advanced working of
problems, or strange things going on.

Mikkel