X over a reverse SSH tunnel

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:38:55 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

> thanks for this tip but i wonder if what i require is possible, i am
> sure it is but i cant seem to get it working.
>
> I need to be able to do the following
>

> work pc <-> home linux box <-> windows client on home network
>
> Using the following which i run on my work PC i can ssh from home back
> to work
>
> ssh -R 5050:localhost:22 -p 443 me at home.computer.com

You have to set
GatewayPorts yes
in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and be sure port 5050 is permitted by your host
firewall to allow this forwarding to work for other hosts on the home
side.  You might also have to specify the interface to bind to. Try
connecting with putty from the windows box to test it.

You might find it easier to run an openvpn tunnel.

> Now this works and from my home linux box i can shell back into work. Is
> there some additional step i can do so that i can run the nomachine
> client on a home windows box and connect it to the home linux box so
> that i can use the gui on my work pc ?
>
> make sense??

In the NX client on your windows box, set the host address and port to
use the tunnel you have set up - and install the correct client key if
you are using freenx and it should work.  As long as you don't check the
box under 'advanced' that says 'disable encryption of all traffic'
everything should run through its internally set up ssh tunnel (which
shouldn't care that it is running through your reverse tunnel_.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com