Slow Second Access to Internet

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 00:19:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:05:03 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:

> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
[...]

> Does this happen with any other browsers?  I know Pan can be really
> sluggish at times, so I tend to discount that app as far as network
> reaction times go.
>
> Does opera or Konqueror do that?  I haven't seen this problem in FF on
> my Fedora boxes.

[...]

Well I am not conversant with Konqueror, but I tried it.
The first few tries were very slow, but now it takes only
a few seconds -- still, not as fast as Firefox.  Repetition
does not slow Konqueror, but them I don't know how to get
it to delete its data.

The most interesting finding is this.  After having been away
from the box for a few hours, I tried Konqueror a few times
as described above.  I then tried Firefox.  It was
instantaneous on the first try.  On subsequent tries it was
very slow, as previously described.  In other words, it
seems that the DNS queries of Konqueror do not interact
with those of Firefox.

FWIW, I also tried "dig www.google.com".  Repeated digs
all respond immediately.

In summery, it appears at this time that the repeated DNS
problem (if it is really that) is isolated to Firefox.
Most peculiar.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Mike.