What is filesystem panic?

Per Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Wed Oct 29 09:28:22 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Per Anton Rønning wrote:
>
>> I guess I should rephrase my question about my 4GB memory stick/pen,
>> where the filesystem
>> now is set to readonly when I enter it into one of the slots.
>> Could anyone tell me what might have happened by taking a look at the
>> snip of the logfile?
>>
>> I am not allowed to do anyting but reading files. I am not allowed to
>> delete files ,remove directires
>> or write to files, even if I change to root privileges.
>> I cannot say when this started - it just happened one time when I tried
>> to backup some files to the Jet Flash.
>> Then I got the message (one example):
>>  cp: cannot create regular file `/media/disk/trade/statQ': Read-only
>> file system
>> Does anyone have a clue? I'd be grateful for pointers in the right
>> direction.
>>
>> *** snip ***
>> Oct 27 11:36:30 localhost kernel: FAT: Filesystem panic (dev sdb1)
>> [!!!!!!!! - my remark]
>>
> An error was found on the file system that will not allow it to
> finish mounting it.
>

>> Oct 27 11:36:30 localhost kernel:    fat_free_clusters: deleting FAT
>> entry beyond EOF  [My remark: What does this mean? Looks like an
>> error message]
>>
> I am guessing, but it sounds like there were clusters assigned to a
> file in the FAT, but were actually after the end of the file. Or
> another way to say it is that the actual file length was much
> shorter then the space assigned to it.
>

>> Oct 27 11:36:30 localhost kernel:    File system has been set read-only
>> [!!!!!!! - my remark]
>> *** end snip ***
>>

> There are errors in the file system that can not be automatically
> fixed, so the file system is being mounted Read Only to prevent
> further damage, while allowing you to recover what data you can.
> If you have a Windows system, run disk check on it, and see what it
> reports. You may also want to run fdisk on it under Linux, and see
> what it says. You may have to backup and re-format the drive before
> it will work correctly.
>
> Mikkel

I have tried both fdisk and cfdisk, but non of these are allowed open
the jetflash device
(as root!)
It  has made itself inaccessible it seems, so I guess I just have to
discard it.
If there is no command that I have not thought of that might help me to
erase its contents and
create everyting (i.e. some backup directories) anew.

BRGDS
PAR