Firefox not opening from Thunderbird links: error, launching default action command

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Oct 29 18:41:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:25 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

 > > Firefox 3 was hanging on certain websites. I downgraded to Fedora
2.0.17. Now when I click on a link in a Thunderbird email I get a box
with the error message:

 > > Error showing url: There was an error launching the default action
command associated with this location.

 >this might help,
 >http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A1=ind0809&L=scientific-linux-users
 >look at the thread titled "cannot follow hyperlinks in thunderbird"

Thanks! That was the needed pointer. The script at
/usr/lib/thunderbird-xxxx calls gconftool-2 to get a key
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command   which pointed to
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox as the executable.

Unfortunately my downgrade to version 2 replaced the /usr/lib/firefox
folder with /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.17 and the reference failed.

Creation of a symlink solved the problem.

Geoff