54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Oct 29 21:52:29 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:11:39 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Beartooth wrote:
> 	[...]
>>> 	Wait a minute! After long enough looking at that like a poleaxed
>>> ox, I suddenly see a sense it might make. Are you saying I can have
>>> four tabs in the same browser *on the same machine* open to CUPS on all
>>> four??
>>>
>> Yes.
>>> 	I tried substituting some current LAN IP numbers for 127.0.0.1,
>>> and got this every time from Firefox :
>>>
>> You have to turn on remote administration first.
>
> 	Oho the First; I was trying to be too paranoid.
>
>> Go to http://localhost:631/admin on each machine - you should only have
>> to do this once. Make sure all these check boxes are checked on the
>> machine with the printer attached:
>>
>> Share published printers connected to this system Allow printing from
>> the Internet
>
> 	Oho the Second : that need not mean some script kiddie can run my
> printer dry printing gibberish??

Well, if your local network does not have a firewall between it and
the Internet, this is possible. In that case, you probably do not
want to share the printer over the network. The text of the checkbox
could be a bit clearer - something like over the network instead of
over the Internet.

>> On every machine that you want to administer from another machine, make
>> sure the "Allow remote administration" box is checked. You may also have
>> to open port 631 in the firewall.
>
> 	The boxes are checked; lst's hope I don't have to tinker with the
> firewalls.

Well, it is just a checkbox on the firewall configuration GUI, as
this is a common port you need open on a local network.
>> On all the machines that do NOT have the printer attached, make sure the
>> "Show printers shared by other systems" box is checked.
>
> 	Are you saying it should *not* be checked on the one *with* the
> printer??

It can be, but unless you have other network printers, or printers
attached to other computers that you are sharing, you are better off
not having it checked. I tend to be paranoid, and there may be a way
to get CUPS into an add printer loop. (Machine 1 shares the printer,
machine 2 shares machine 1's printer, and advertises it as a printer
available for use on machine 2. machine shares both machine 1's and
machines 2's advertised printers, and also advertises them as its
available printers, etc...) You should not be able to do it, but
someone may manage to do it anyway.

Mikkel