OT: find command permissions: how to exclude dir?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Oct 30 00:10:51 UTC 2008

Dave Burns wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:27:32 -1000
>> check whether .gvfs is a mounted
>> filesystem (it probably is).
>
> Yep.
>
>> Why can root not access it?
>> Perhaps because there is no read permission in the mount point?
>
> I created an identical directory with identical permissions, root and
> find have no problem with that one. I think the key was mentioned by
> Todd - 'the callbacks and such used when referencing it only exist in
> the owner's Gnome instance.'

That was me (Rick).

>                               Which I take it to mean, when find (as
> root) calls some low-level routine, bad things happen.

No, no bad things, but there's no callbacks in place for root to use
to search that filesystem...they only exist in tburns' Gnome instance.

> So... bro has no suggestion for a workaround?

Nope.  As soon as find sees that name it'll barf.  It won't stop the
find, just spit out an error.  You could aim stderr to /dev/null if
you want.  Examples:

	[root at bigdog ~]# find /home/rick -name "fred"
	/home/rick/fred
	find: /home/rick/.gvfs: Permission denied

	[root at bigdog ~]# find /home/rick -name "fred" 2>/dev/null
	/home/rick/fred

It ain't pretty, but it'll work.
- Millihelen, adj: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. -