Which one is better Ubuntu Or Fedora 9

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Oct 30 14:07:18 UTC 2008

vince wrote:

> I agree with you, however, would also like to point out that personally
> I think Ubuntu is a compromise between RHE and Fedora. For a stable and
> safe business environment I would rather use Debian instead of Ubuntu.
>
> Regards
> vince

I have to completely disagree with that. (At least the last part) I have
a fairly large network (20+ systems, some SGI clusters) and I must say I
have more trouble out of my Debian systems (put in before my time) than
any other system I run.  And we run everything from RHEL, SLES, Gentoo,
Fedora and FreeBSD.

I wouldn't give a plug nickel to run another Debian system, ever.  Using
apt is fine, I can handle that.  Dselect is crap, and personally I
really hate how Debian handles upgrading packages (specifically config
files).

I've had my 2 Debian boxes b0rk so often after installing patches
because of that, that I rarely update them any longer.  Fortunately,
they are no longer production boxes, but I've yet to have time to blow
them away and throw something useful on them.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support