CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Thu Oct 30 14:17:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:48:27 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
	[...]
> Strange that you have 2 entries. On the machines without the printer,
> you should be using the on that has: Device URI: ipp://<something>

	Probably at some point before all this, fiddling with CUPS, I
tried an add button.

> You may have to make the changes I listed in another e-mail - the one
> describing what checkboxes to make sure are checked.

	I've just gone through them again. Every machine has every box
checked, except the one for Kerberos and the one for cancelling other
people's jobs.

> On the machine with the printer attached, try printing a test page on
> each printer, and see what works best. Set that as the default, and
> remove the other printer.

	The one I had as default did OK, and the other didn't print, nor
even make printer noises; I deleted it.

> Then move on the setting the other versions of CUPS.

	I.e., delete down to the best setting, I take it.

	I'm on #2 at the moment. Neither one printed anything! And the
result was the same on #3 and #4.

> You should be able to administer all the CUPS setups from one
> machine,

	I tried that again this morning. No joy. If I type
http://192.168.x.y:631/admin into firefox on 192.168.x.z, I get a 503
from privoxy : connect failed.

> and you should see an ipp:// printer on all the machines that
> do not have a printer attached.

	I tried googling ipp to see if the problem were a misapprehension
about that -- and couldn't make head nor tail of what I found.

> Once you have things working the way you want, you should be able to
> delete all the usb://hp/psc%201310%20series?serial=CN4AIC71YKO2 and the
> hp:/usb/psc_1310_series?serial=CN4AIC71YKO2 entry on all except the
> machine with the printer attached.

	With the "Delete Printer" button??