firefox and .ram files [F9]

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 30 15:01:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 09:45 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if using firefox and clicking on some urls pointing to .ram files, I get
> an error popup like:
>
> /tmp/allfilms-1.ram could not be opened, because the associated helper
> application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.
>
> I couldn't find any advice how to solve this problem. In
> /etc/mozpluggerrc I found the following entries:
>
> audio/x-pn-realaudio:ra,rm,ram:Realaudio-plugin resource locator
> audio/x-realaudio:ra,rm,ram:RealAudio file
> application/vnd.rn-realmedia:rm:RealMedia file
> application/smil:smi:RealPlayer
> audio/vnd.rn-realaudio:ra,ram:RealAudio file
> audio/vnd.rn-realvideo:rv:RealVideo file
>          nokill stream: realplay "$file"
>          nokill stream: hxplay "$file"
>
> --------------------------------------
>
> realplay and hxplay are installed:
>
> type hxplay realplay
> hxplay is /usr/bin/hxplay
> realplay is /usr/bin/realplay

> rpm -q mozplugger
> mozplugger-1.10.1-1.i386

Go to: about:config
Then change the configuration:
browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions from true to false by
 clicking on it.

Then in: Edit->Preferences->Applications
you will be able to set the application to handle RAM files, as well as other
mime-types.

He draweth out the thread of his verbosity finer than the staple of his
argument. -- William Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net