Ubuntu Ibex offers choice of KDE4.1.2 or KDE3.5.10... and kernel-2.6.27.

Sebastian Vahl deadbabylon at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:55:24 UTC 2008

Am Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:56:38 -0400
schrieb Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>:

> Subject says it all.   Fedora developers tell us that they can't give
> us a choice of KDE version and yet Ubuntu is doing it.
>
> Ironically, Fedora says their distribution is more cutting edge and
> yet Ibex gets kernel 2.6.27 and we are still stuck with 2.6.26.
>
> I think the KDE-3.5.10 decision demonstrates that Ubuntu developers
> are more sensitive to user end needs.

I've not checked it but this seems not to be true:
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/KDE3-KDE4Migration

"""
Will 8.10 include KDE 3?

8.10 will only include KDE 4 as its desktop. KDE 3 will not be
available. As the code-name suggests, Intrepid is intended as a
deliberately cutting edge release, if you would rather stay with what
you know 8.04 continues to be fully supported. The development team
decided that time and manpower considerations as well as the
probable(possible) lack of further 3.5x releases prevent them from
maintaining 2 separate versions, and KDE 4 was chosen as the version
to move forward with.
"""

> I think those are just excuses for a developer community that wants
> to do it own thing irregardless of what users actually want.

Believe me, that isn't true either. And as it was said in an earlier
thread (IIRC): Join the KDE-SIG, offer your help, raise your voice, get
participated (in a way you want to or being able to) and you will
finally see this for yourself.

Sebastian