help with linux symlinks in vmware XP client

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Oct 30 20:20:22 UTC 2008

I'm running an XP client in VMware on a Fedora machine.
I keep all my personal windows stuff in "~/ddriv"
which is then available to XP via the "Shared Folders"
mechanism of VMware.

That way, when XP is not running, I still have access
to ~/ddriv from linux for backup and other purposes.

The problem is that XP does not understand linux symlinks.
This did not used to be a problem under Win4lin/windows98.

Are there easy solutions to this short of hardlinks?

-dsm